Monday, January 31, 2011

1st Impressions Mean Everything

Jotted down a few quick thoughts before I left work today. I wanted to accomplish 3 main goals when going to the Porterhouse Brew Shop.
  1. Sign up for the brewing class on February 26th 
  2. Meet the owner and introduce myself
  3. Get some quick tips on kits and prices
I'm not going to lie, I'm looking for a good kit. Not some BS kit you brew root beer with. I talking a full blown, manly brew kit. I'm not 100% sure what is going to go down with my first brew session, but it doesn't matter. I always play buy the "you get what you pay for" technique. UNLESS you find a killer sale at a major department store, right? No not really because those killer deals were made in some country where it costs $0.04 to manufacture. And you thought $4.00 was a steal............Morale of the story, buy a good kit damn it.
So after a long day at work I got to finally check out the Porterhouse Brew Shop. The place reminds you of a general store from the early 1800's, it's awesome. I walked in and was greeted by Beth and her husband. Didn't get her husband's name because he was chasing down their toddler through the store. The store is all wood shelves and has a true old school vibe. I told Beth I found them on the internet and wanted to sign up for the class. She said I was lucky because they only had 1 seat left. I pre-paid right there to ensure I had a seat. Josh asked me via text this week "do they have classes all the time?" Well they do have classes once a month until May. After May they have a long break until September. Beth and I talked about the book I'm currently reading: "How to Brew". She said that it is a great book and has a lot of good technical info that can be easily understood. I wanted to check out some brew kits and see what they were working with. Beth said they were currently sold out for the first time in the existence of the shop. They can't keep them on the shelves. She said they have a bunch coming in for the weekend but they are coming from Maine so she couldn't guarantee anything. It didn't really matter to me at this point, I wasn't going to make a purchase today anyway. I really want to take the class first and wrap my head around what is really going on. After scoping out all of the awesome brewness they had, I told Beth I'd catch up with her on the 26th. In the meantime she said to call with any questions I had on the book or on brewing. They don't make em' like Beth anymore.
Side note: There is 1.5 beers left in my fridge from North Country Brew. I will need to get that in a glass ASAP before I review Ch. 1-3 of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment